Electric Guitar 3D Print Project: Backplate for the Parker P-38

 


The Parker P-38 is one of the most versatile guitars ever made.  It has single coil neck pick-ups which make it sound like a Stratocaster, Humbucker bridge pick-ups to make it sound like a Telecaster and underneath the Humbuckers are piezoelectric pick-ups which can make it sound like an electric acoustic.  Through the 5 way switch you can also blend all the sounds as desired.  I bought this guitar used when I was taking lessons in Columbus, IN on the recommendation from my instructor.  I was taking lessons in a music store where they had this guitar for sale.  He put it on hold for me and suggested I buy it.  I was more into acoustic playing at the time but was so glad I picked this up.  It had some issues with the piezoelectric pickups and so it was drastically discounted to move but I since had those issues fixed by another guitar store.  The only other remaining issue is that the backplate is missing (as I bought it), however, I would like 3D print a backplate to keep dust and debris out of the bridge springs on the back as well as further customize this model.

This guitar made an impact in the guitar world back in the late '90s by founder and designer Ken Parker.  The Parker guitar is extremely light since they bored out as much of the wood as they could and used a carbon fiber layer in the back to structurally reinforce. The manufacturing process was cutting edge at the time and the materials, pickups and sound are legendary.

Photos don't do this guitar justice, except for the missing backplate it is flawless.  Plan to try to have a custom embossed backplate 3D printed with "P-38" embossed on the outside of the plate.

Popular posts from this blog

Indy House Updates

Young Great Horned Owls: Morning Walk, April 24

Olympic Photo: Steve Prefontaine & Lasse Viren